Friday night, after using a card reader to upload a bunch of bugs photos to my imac, I inserted my SD card into my d80, turned it on, and was faced with a blinking CHA (or CHR) on the LCD.
The last letter is difficult to figure out: it’s like a squared 8, with the bottom horizontal piece missing. A or R? Only Nikon knows for sure… though I guess I could could look in the manual, if I could find it.
Searching online yielded various tidbits of information, mostly relating to the probability that the card was not recognized by the camera – perhaps an unapproved brand? Well yes, RiDATA is not a recommended brand, but the cards have worked for over 15000 images in 8 months, so it seemed unlikely that the problem was that.
Cleaning the contacts didn’t (nor did they look in any way dirty). Reinserting didn’t fix it. Resetting the camera didn’t fix it. And oddly, my second SD card (also a 4gb RiDATA card) gave the same error. I thought perhaps it was the camera, but that was not a happy thought.
I tried again the next morning, hoping that it would magically work. It didn’t. I pondered some more, remembering that the error indicated some sort of card access failure. I checked the cards, noted that they were “locked” by a sliding switch, switched them to unlocked, and tried one in the camera: it worked! A rather simple solution, it turned out.
I was later informed (after a bit of chuckling) that the d50 noted on the back LCD that the card was locked – a feature sadly missing from the d80.